Number of axles
A trailer is a vehicle without motive power attached to a powered vehicle. Trailers have both front and rear axles so the full weight of the trailer is supported by the axles. The trailer is attached to the hauling unit with the help of a drawbar. These vehicles are usually used by businesses that make deliveries to several places and unload only a part of the cargo. Basically, they are used for transportation to factories, warehouses, ports and terminals.
There are two options of trailers: open and enclosed. The open design implies hauling large goods with relative ease. They are lighter to tow, easy to maneuver and less expensive to buy. Enclosed trailers offer additional security as the trailer functions as a lockable storage building and keeps your cargo safe and secure. They provide protection from unfavorable weather conditions. These trailers are perfect for transportation of precious cargos.
Trailers by capacity and application
- Flatbed trailer is a highly versatile type of a trailer. It is open from all sides and has no roof. It has no boxing covering the cargo so tarp can be used instead.
- Refrigerated trailers are equipped with a cooling system to maintain the temperature needed. Such items as frozen goods and pharmaceuticals are shipped by this kind of trailer.
- Closed box trailer has a box shaped container to enclose the cargo. These trailers protect the goods from the weather and securely transport freight.
- Tipper trailers have a lifting mechanism that allows the trailer to tilt to unload the contents inside the trailer. They are built to haul heavy equipment and materials such as gravel, stone and sand.
- Low boy trailer has a folding platform. These trailers sit very close to the ground. So such huge items as heavy duty construction machinery and equipment can be shipped by this trailer.
- Curtainsider trailer has flexible sides that can be opened for loading and unloading goods. It is used in a wide variety of industries for various types of cargo.
- Multi-car trailers are designed to accommodate multiple cars from one place to another. The cars are safely adjusted in these trailers.
The main components of any trailer are a frame, a drawbar, a body and a suspension.
Looking for a new or used trailer? Truck1 UK stocks hundreds of trailers to fit any need and budget. There are such top brands as Krone, Schmitz, Humbaur, Brenderup and others represented in our classified ads. Browse the whole selection of trailers for sale and choose the one suitable for you!